Friday, May 29, 2009

Back in Nairobi

We safely arrived in Nairobi on Wednesday afternoon, but I've been delayed in posting here as Internet has been difficult to access (right now, I've got a pretty slow connection at a cyber cafe).

I have to say I think I had a little bit of culture shock upon returning to Kenya... so many concrete structures, so many food choices, in general, so much everywhere!

Yesterday, I visited our program, the Thika Development Community Trust, in Thika, which is about 45 minutes (without jams) outside Nairobi. I had such a great day! Lillian, one of the field officers, acted as hostess taking me around the Thika community to visit clients. I'll post more stories later (hopefully this weekend).

I was able to meet Monica, an incredibly talented seamstress, Jane and baby Joanne (who were featured on our Mother's Day cards this year) and many others.

I could especially relate to a lady named Magdaline. She and her husband are both school teachers but have joined the trust group and taken out a loan to buy chickens and cows. They sell the milk and eggs to help supplement their income and to help pay for school fees. Their oldest son (they have 5 children) is currently attending university to become an accountant. So, how could I relate when I have no children? Both of my parents are teachers, and when I was little, my mom took a side job to also help supplement our family's income while my dad went back to school. Magdaline was such a reminder to me that families are alike, even on the other side of the world.

Our ride back to the guesthouse from Thika last night was interesting to say the least... We hit massive traffic jams and at one point were just sitting in the car for 45 minutes. That's right. No movement. Just sitting. Today when we went back to Thika, we advised the driver NOT to take that same route on our return. He kindly obliged.

I was also able in interview Peter Macharia, Sudan Country Director for World Concern, today in his Nairobi office. We traveled with him across Sudan, but it was today that I finally got my interview. ;)

From the ACK Guesthouse in Nairobi...

Kelli

No comments: