Saturday, June 6, 2009

An Arm Full of Books

I've just returned from a walk to the library. I received notification this morning that the books I put on hold Thursday afternoon were ready for pick-up.

As I continue to reflect upon my time in Sudan, I just keep adding to the list of questions in my head ... So, I've decided to give myself some homework, i.e. reading assignments. 

Here's my current list:
  • Emma's War (Book on CD. I'll be listening to this on my commute.)
  • Short History of Sudan
  • Alek
  • They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan
  • War Child: A Child Soldier's Story
I'm also currently reading Bombs, Ruins and Honey: Journeys of the Spirit with Sudanese Christians, which I bought in Nairobi.

My hope is that as I learn more about this region of the world, the culture of its people and its history that I will be able to better tell the story. The stories of the entrepreneurs I met, the story of Ahok, who is chairlady of the village bank in Lietnohm, the stories of our partners who are working in the field. I want to be able to share well-rounded, contextualized stories. To describe how and why lives are being transformed in South Sudan.

So, if you have any suggestions/additions to my reading list (or know of other resources I should check out), please post a comment. I'd love the input!

Now... off to do some reading!

Kelli

1 comment:

Randee Brady said...

Kelli -- keep up the good work. I recently read Emma's War and found that it to be very realistic -- the back story shows how complex the various components are (politics,history, human nature, etc.) and how they played out in Sudan. I read another book, fiction, that is similar, and a bit easier to follow: "Acts of Faith". Also, I recommend "Courageous Journey: Walking the Lost Boys' Path from the Sudan to America" -- very readable and complete; it was just published in 2008. Enjoying your blog. Thanks.